Pages

Monday, April 14, 2014

Feeling Like a Fraud and Becoming a Yoga Teacher - My Messy Beautiful



When I signed up for my yoga teacher training I was mixture of elation and fear. I just knew this was what I wanted to do. But I also didn't feel good enough, or ready or qualified. But, somehow, I signed up. And I showed up for that first day. And I sat in a room of professional dancers, former gymnasts, personal trainers, cross-fit enthusiasts and I thought to myself, "Well... every class needs the odd man out. The misfit." 

Because this was a class on yoga and not a "best looking, most flexiblest, strongest, person in the class" contest, I found real and sincere friends. And I grew and I loved it. For the first week I tried to act like I was a health nut. You know, that I didn't ever eat junk food, or wheat or carbs or anything. And then I realized that I was working 40 hours a week and in class 30 hours a week and I was exhausted and tired and damnitIwantmycheetos! 
And that is when I started showing up as myself. Myself was a little bit quieter than that "other girl" I was trying to be. She was more confident in some ways, and less confident in others. But most importantly, I kept showing up. Terrified and feeling fraudulent and not up to par, I SHOWED UP. I brought my eating disorder, depression, anxiety, self consciousness and fear with me. Like very unwelcome guests. And every day, as I learned what a pose was and how to teach it and how it worked, I tried to dismiss those unwelcome guests that followed me everywhere. Some moments I was successful. Others I was not. But I was learning. 


And then came the day, that final day. The day we were to teach the full sequence to people, like it was a real class. Like we were real instructors. I was blessed to teach two older ladies. That was my hope. I wanted older ladies who I could be sweet and gentle too and guide them through. I didn't want some athletic person who could do more than I could. I didn't think I could handle that. Teaching those dear ladies went pretty well. All the same, after the teaching I went to my mom and told her about it, crying, because I felt like such a fraud.

And after the training ended, I couldn't face a yoga studio. I couldn't fathom teaching. I felt like such a fraud. What inner peace did I have to offer? How could I demonstrate strength when I didn't feel like I had any? Not to mention I didn't look like a yoga instructor. Lulu hasn't made a bra that can keep the "girls" from coming out to play during down dog. I have child birthing hips. My grandmother lovingly told me I was built like a solid pioneer. Solid-pioneer looking women don't teach yoga. They push handcarts and chop down trees and bear many strapping sons. They don't gracefully jump into a handstand. Pioneer women are no nonsense. Yoga has to have SOME nonsense. Some fun. So WHAT WAS I DOING HERE?! 

And then, my husband said that I HAD to do the internship. As absolutely terrifying as it was, I HAD to do it. Because I deserved that opportunity. And so I did it. And I wore my mask of confidence and said I would teach classes. Secretly screaming inside that I was a FRAUD.

I taught my first REAL class. How? I don't know. Divine intervention? Breathing. Lots and lots of breathing. And love. Love from my husband who believes in me when I can't. Love from my teacher who was there and made me feel comfortable. Love from a friend who showed up because she knew how scared I was. Love, people. It really can move mountains.

I might feel like a fraudulent teacher, but I am comfortable being a student. I know the benefits of yoga. I know about breathing and centering. And I work on that all by myself, with the help of teachers, every day. And I don't have it mastered even one little bit. 

Not only that, but I can't do a headstand. Or a backbend. Or bakasana (crow pose). The last time I tried an arm balance I face planted it. In front of everyone. I literally laughed to keep from crying. I laughed with tears in my eyes and humiliation in my heart. What kind of yoga teacher can't even jump up to her hands? Me. This one can't.  


And that is how I knew I should be a teacher. When I accepted that I had no clue, that I didn't know what was going on. I might be able to tell you 20 different Sanskirt names of asanas. I might know the proper alignment. But anyone can know that. I show up raw and broken and scared to my mat every day, because I know that I will leave a little more healed, a little less scared and stronger. And if I am this scared and this broken, then there are others. Because we are all human, and we are all hurt and we are all struggling. 

I can teach how to breathe through the panic and the pain because I have. I have too, to make it through every day. I can teach how to breathe with movement because I had to learn to not hold my breath when I moved. I can teach how to become comfortable in your own skin, because I relearn that lesson every day. 




And maybe, just maybe, some people need to see that us pioneer-built women belong. We belong to each other. We belong on that mat. We belong in class. We all belong, the dancers, the gymnasts, the athletes, the pioneers, the sassy, the thin, the large, the quiet, the loud, the square, the round, the triangle and any other shape and size. We belong to each other. We are all held together by breath and life and light and love. And though we look at each other see differences everywhere, we always end class with Namaste.



The divine light within me sees and honors the divine light within you.





And that is why I teach. Because I only came back to class when my teacher saw my divine light and said she missed it in class. Because my divine light has been dimmed and blown on and spit on and it has never gone out. Because it is divine. I am divine. Like every other person. And so, with my tear filled eyes I will see and recognize and honor the divine light within you. And I might not be able to headstand or handstand, but I can STAND. And I will. At the top of my mat. I will show up for myself. And I will show up for you. And we will OM together, and join our broken hearts through movement and breath, and that will start to heal this broken world. Because that is what yoga is all about. 

Namaste.

source



source

19 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for being so open and honest...I did my training at 60, and I am not an athletic looking person. Showed up nervous and scared every time. Opportunities to teach began to come my way and I was crazy scared..that was 2 years ago..I manage a Yoga studio now with 5 teachers. I teach Basic and Yin-and sub moderate level classes. I have found my niche-one I never could have seen coming. So, hang in there and keep being open and honest about your abilities---they are inspiring!

      Delete
  2. I loved going to the class you taught! You are an awesome teacher. And your are REAL, and people can relate to you. Some teachers are up in this place that seems unattainable and can make some people feel lower or unworthy. You have a way of making everyone feel not only comfortable, but happy with where they were at. My mom loved the class as well! I am so happy you are pursuing this. You are magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I appreciate all of your support. It means the world to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR MESSAGE!!! I am a size 14 195lbs yoga teacher. I read this and cried through the entire thing because I totally totally relate, it is literally same story. KEEP ON KEEPING ON- Spread that light :) Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know I'm not the only who feels this way! I didn't know I was is such good company. Thank you for your love and support. The world needs more of us size 14 gals showing up every day, because we do matter. And we do belong.

      Delete
  5. That was a lovely post and I am sure a lot to teachers in training and new teachers can relate to this post, I know I did. Keep teaching, you have a wonderful light in you and you need to share that with others :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I loved this article. I am also a yoga teacher who often feels like a fraud. I'm not athletic. Not a size 0 or even a size 10. But I love yoga. I love the peace it brings. Like you I show up and try to help my students feel a bit better for coming to class. Maybe that's what the world needs more of. Less perfection and more spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing and inspirational. I'm not a yoga teacher or even student, but as a spiritual teacher and mentor, I can relate to many of these feelings. Just as we didn't learn our craft itself until we started doing it, so to do we learn to teach it by teaching, and allowing ourselves to grow into that confidence. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word, how beautiful... Thank you for writing this, it resonates in so many ways. You are a beautiful writer, maybe some day I will get to join you on the mat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your beautiful sharing. I am a yoga teacher and the style that I have been taught is taught in such a way so that all people can do the yoga. We don't stand on our heads, we unite in our hearts. The people on my course are all different shapes and sizes and we all connect from our hearts. Sending you so many blessings, sharing your vulnerability in such a way is the greatest strength a woman can demonstrate, in my opinion. Your students are soooooo lucky to have someone who is so connected to herself. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post - I qualified as a yoga teacher last year and feel a fraud. I am not slim, I am not young, I have had injuries which leave me with physical restrictions and I have arthritis. But I do teach and will teach yoga - for all the other people who need the peace and healing we find on the mat. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Thank you for this amazing post. As a yoga teacher in training, I have been struggling with these same things the past few months. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and your light. Keep up the wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have taken a few classes from you and I just want you to know not once have I thought you weren't fit to teach yoga. And knowing you as a person, I feel like you were meant for the job and it was meant for you.
    But that's not really what matters. What really matters is written in the last few paragraphs of your post.
    Thanks for sharing! You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you...this has been my fear. i love it so much and want to teach and share yoga with others so badly. thank you so so so much for this. Namaste.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such beautiful words! Halfway through my training and this really solidified that I do actually belong there. And so do all the other lovely souls that are going through the journey with me. Thank you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely beautiful. You have described the exact way I feel as a yoga teacher too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautifully written. I felt you. I feel you. Be the light. Namasté.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in a teacher's training right now, and I'm terrified, but also love it! I can definitely relate to feeling like a fraud at times. I'm in recovery from an eating disorder, and yoga is what saved my life. Congratulations on becoming a teacher, and sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete