Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lovey Dovey Crap

In case you haven't noticed from the bombardment of pink, red, hearts and lovey dovey commercials, Valentine's day is right around the corner. Like... tomorrow.


Now, I've never been a big fan of this Holiday. I was, for like two months once, but after that... eh. Just consumerism at it's most chocolatey.

When I was 17, my high school boyfriend (Whom I dated off and on for almost 6 years) wanted to give me a Valentine. Sweet, right? Except his family didn't approve so much. Like, at all. (I'm not sure what I did to turn the whole clan against me, but whatevs. He was the best high school boyfriend a girl could ask for, no joke.) He worked the early morning shift stocking a grocery store, so on his way home from work he brought me roses and some other sweet little gifts. It was incredibly precious and so sweet of him. And even though I'm racking my brain and I can't for the life of me remember what else it was he brought me, I still remember feeling so cherished. He was thoughtful, and went waaaaaaaaaay out of his way to give me a valentine. 

Of course, what did I give him? Umm.... I really don't want to admit this. I had no clue what to give a boy for Valentine's Day. And I mean, no clue. So I was all... "Boys like... duct tape. And flashlights. And... candy? Right?!" So that is what I gave this thoughtful young man. And, bless his heart, he acted excited and sweet and like I was the best thing that ever happened to him. You don't get relationships like that ever day. And I definitely didn't value him until he was gone. 

Of course, let us not forget the crappiest Valentines almost ever. I had a missionary out (more on that in the next story) and was pretty much alone. I wasn't getting along with my roommate, I hadn't made any new friends at the university, my car battery had died that morning and there was no parking anywhere on campus. And then, to top it all off, I got pulled over by a FEMALE cop! Now, we all know that as a woman pulled over by a male cop, you have a pretty good chance of talking your way out of the ticket. Female cop? Forget about it! (I wish I could type that as Joey says it on Friends...)

Somehow, I managed to talk my way out of this ticket. It wasn't easy. This woman was obviously pissed that she was working Valentines day. And that she was alone, and had to wear an incredibly unflattering uniform. But by some miracle, I was not ticketed. This didn't stop me from going home and bawling my eyes out though. After I worked 4 hours talking to lonely truckers that is... (Nothing to cheer up a girl like hearing an old 50 year old chain smoker tell you that you "Sound awfully sexy." Please note, I worked helping tuckers get hired by big trucking companies.)
And then there was the Valentine's day that I go engaged... You heard me. Engaged. And let me preface this story by saying, it didn't pan out. Like, heartbreakingly didn't pan out. Which is why I always, always, tell guys to never, ever, ever propose on a holiday. You never know what could happen, and you're setting yourself up with never being able to top that gesture of love. You don't want that.  

Anywhoo, Valentine's day fell on a Sunday that year. We had a nice quiet morning, went to church with my family, and then we had dinner with my whole family at my parent's house. Suddenly, everyone was all, "Hey, we're gonna go... somewhere." And they all left. So, X and I (we shall call him X, cause that is what he is) sat down at the table and together we put together, The Book. He had served an LDS Mission for two years, and I had written him every week of his mission. He wrote back. So that day, we sat down and put together the book. It was our letters back and forth so that it was like reading a story. Seems super sweet, right? It was. Around sunset he was all, "Hey, let's go for a drive!" And I was all, "It's kinda cold, but sure!"

He drove to the end of the dirt road we lived on (we weren't hicks, we just had a farm like place and lived in a small town). At the end of the dirt road, there was this beautiful spot. The road was lined with poplars on both sides. It was here that we had our first real "talk". That we spent hours watching the stars and countless sunsets. There were picturesque fields filled with fireflies in the summer. Real Anne of Green Gables stuff. And then, he got down on one knee, in the mud, and popped the question. It wasn't eloquent. It was just simple. And it was beautiful. Until he broke my heart a few weeks before the wedding and effectively ruined Valentine's day. 

Last year, I spent Valentines day in bed with my cat. My husband was gone with the military. I was incredibly lonely. I had tried to brighten my day by making Valentine cupcakes for the office. And everyone loved them. So that was nice. But it didn't change the fact that I was very much alone. 

This year is going to be different! I have V-Day all planned out for my hubby. It isn't anything crazy elaborate, but it is going to be time together. And I ream really looking forward to it.

Have you had any crappy Valentine's days? I know I'm not the only one! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Sounds like you've had some crazy Valentines! I definitely couldn't top your list for sure. I'd say any Valentine where I didn't have a boyfriend/husband, which was for many years was a bad day and I just try to get through it; so glad I don't have to go there again! I did have flowers secretly sent to me my senior year of high school only to find out my mom sent them; which is a sweet thought but would have been totally better if it had been a boy. I'm so glad your bad Valentines are in the past and I hope you enjoy this special day with your man ;)

    ReplyDelete