Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

Goodbye Guilt, Hello Happiness

Isn't it funny how Monday seems to happen every week? I do like Mondays. Kinda. I mean, the whole two-days-of-sleeping-in doesn't ever seem like enough... But I enjoy Mondays and a fresh new week. It's a good thing I love my job too. That helps. Lots and lots.

So... this week I am going to try to be more productive, and less stressed out. My husband pointed out that I was wound up a little too tight. And he is right. School as me stressed. And not the good kind of stress (which does, in fact, exist), but the bad turns-me-into-crazy-lady-who-can't-take-any-jokes kind of stress.

This past weekend, I had so much to do that I just... didn't. You know, you have so much homework and you get so overwhelmed that you just kind of shut down? Plus, I was feeling under the weather. So I only got a couple of things done, and then I settled in under my comfy blanket to watch a bajazillion episodes of Say Yes to the Dress (why is this such a guilty pleasure of mine?!).

Productive, right?

So this week, I am going to try a little harder to be productive yet less stressed.

My strategy is to make a plan, have some lists, and then go through those lists (cause I always end up adding way to much to them) and crossing off at least two items that I could do later without harming any deadlines. And then I make sure I work out.

Now, I know that many people work out to be skinny. I used to be one of them. This is not a good reason to exercise. It really isn't. I mean, yes it is motivating to some. But for me, it makes me hate it. Now, after many months, exercise is a mental health precaution. If I don't work out... Watch out world! Crazy lady is on the lose.

So this week, I am going to MAKE time to work out... Or else. Even if it means not doing an assignment THAT DAY. I am learning that I have to put my health (mental and physical) and happiness above just about everything else (except my husband... and even then. If I don't take care of myself I am not a happy camper. He would rather me be happy and he be a little less priority than other wise. If that makes sense...).

I think this is something everyone struggles with. Guilt. Guilt of putting themselves first. You feel like you will be the worst person ever. If you aren't putting everyone before you. That is just so egotistical. Really. I mean... do you really think that you are the only one who can solve everyone's problems, take care of things at work, etc? Honey, in all those things, you are replaceable. But in living your life, in being happy and enjoying your family... you are not.

So stop with the guilt trip, go take a bubble bath and tell those kids/husband/friends/family/professor/boss/world to just let you be. It's ME time. And Me time rocks!

Not to mention, everyone loves you more when you aren't about to explode from frustration, anger and neglect. I promise.

So let us say HELLO MONDAY! (With Lisa) and say hello to a new week of putting ME first, and being honest-to-goodness happy.

Hello running! Hello yoga! Hello down time with my favorite TV shows (The New Girl, Go On, The New Normal and various cooking shows), Hello dinner with my husband. Hello new iphone!!!! ( I am going to be phoneless AAAAALLLLLLLLL week. This is day 5 without a phone. Yes I am going slightly crazy. And yet, it is kind of nice to be findable to the rest of the world. At the same time, it is driving me crazy to not be able to just text my husband... GAH!) Hello Fall Leaves!

And, of course, Hello Homework. I hate you.

How do you stay de-stressed when you have lots to do? I would love to hear your tips and pointers.

No comments:

Post a Comment