Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Frustration and Gratitude

I think that some days the universe decides, "Hey, you know what? That girl has had like four days of happiness and almost no stress. Let's make it rain!"

Stupid universe.

But I weathered the storm. Thanks to my husband. He really is my rock.

I don't want to go into too many details. Let's just say it involved money, money for school, school assignments, my thesis, not having a car and a huge workload at work.

Yup, that about sums it up.

Stupid universe.

I think the most frustrating thing is not having a car. Stephen's parent's have generously let us borrow their car (and live in their basement. I married into a family of awesome people), ut we usually have to be in two places at once. Like, I'm at work and Stephen has to be in school, or he is car hunting. And these two places have to be in the Northernest part of Orem and the Southernest part of Provo. (I made up those words, just go with it)

I am dropped off and picked up. I feel like a 15 year old. I kinda hate it.

But at the same time I am so, so, so grateful that we have people in our life willing to help us along when we fall on hard times.

So... try having both of those feelings at once. Frustration and gratitude. I'm really hoping gratitude wins out. It's much easier to live with. But I'm only human. And, dagnabit!, I want to drive myself to work like a big girl.

Well, Stephen had a job interview today (GO Stephen! He totally nailed it and is now a research assistant in his department. My husband pretty much rocks) and so he was late to pick me up. Like... 45 minutes late.

Shoot. Me. Now.

I was so mad that I had to hang around work after everyone else had left, yet so happy and grateful that Stephen got such an advantageous job. Again, frustration and gratitude.

Stephen fixed everything though. He calmed me down when I was hyperventilating earlier. He took me to Rubio's for dinner (I love their gourmet tacos!).

I ate all the tacos, cause they are so delicious.


And then he did the most amazing thing ever: He bought me new running shoes.
More about my shoes later!

Now, I don't want to get into the connection between my husband and my running goals. That needs it's own post.

But it totally turned my day around.

I think gratitude might have even won out. It's funny, isn't it? How two emotions can so strongly overcome us. I wish I could say I open my heart and life to more gratitude than frustration. I'm working on it. But more often than not I find myself frustrated at the little things. I get caught up in having to be dropped off and picked up, the stupid toilet at work not working or even my nail polish chipping. These things do not make up a life.

But gratitude does.

Gratitude sheds light on the smallest of miracles. On the joys of friendship. On the power of forgiveness.  Gratitude is what makes happy people, happy. I need to be more grateful. I think I will work extra hard on that tomorrow and see how my day goes.

What do you think usually overpowers the gratitude in your life? I want to know. Maybe we can help each other come a little bit closer to the grateful life, the happy life that we all deserve.


1 comment:

  1. What a great post! It really got me thinking life is totally like that sometimes! there are moments of frustration and gratitude but it's totally ok to be frustrated; it's a natural human emotion! I'm just so proud of you in spite of having those frustrations that you are looking at the bright side of things and when those frustrations do occur that's the best time to go for a run ;) What usually overpowers the gratitude in my life is focusing on what I don't have rather than what I do. When I tend to look at what I don't have at that moment, it really clouds my mind to what I do have. Once I look around and see how I really do have it great and that it could always be worse it definitely helps. Good luck with finding gratitude in any situation you come across!

    ReplyDelete